Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Vacation was an Education

Who would have thought you would learn something new each day you are on vacation? I learned a lot while I was in New York and Boston this year. Read it and weep...

Things I learned while I was in New York:
1. Taxis drivers are crazy. Get in, sit down, close your eyes and pray. Horn honking is a rite of passage. It gets done very frequently.
2. A $100.00 dinner doesn't ensure good service. The waiter will think you are a redneck hick for ordering a beer. Just for good measure he will pour the beer into a wine glass. I guess he thought steak was best appreciated with a red wine.
3. Every picture you take is going to have a random Asian dude in it.
4. Eating is optional. If you are going to do it make sure you have $30 per person, at least, for the tab.
5. Double Decker Bus Tours are a complete rip off.
6. English is a second language to nearly 95% of the people there. Listen hard.
7. Hotel rooms are smaller than my bedroom at home (and that includes the bathroom). By the third day you are tripping over and hating your significant other.
8. Yankees games are best appreciated from good seats. Buyer beware: The cheap seats at Yankee Stadium are filled with hard-core fans. Fights will breakout around you. Wear a helmet.
9. The Little Mermaid is the best show in town. Even Honeybun appreciated it. He's still singing...
10. Amtrak is the way to travel. It's my new mode of transportation. Honeybun and I are scheduling our next vacations around where the train will take us.
11. Walk fast or get out of the way. You will get run over and evil death stares if you don't.
12. 50 degrees with freezing rain and 20 mph winds is miserable. Four days of it is the pits, the absolute pits.

Things I learned while I was in Boston:
1. Listening to the people talk while you are in a restaurant is the best form of entertainment. Especially when you've been with the same person for 5 days and you are pretty much talked out.
2. Massachusetts is pronounced Mass-a-choo-setts, not Mass-a-tu-setts, ask Honeybun about this.
3. Bostonians are friendlier than New Yorkers.
4. Duck tours are fabulous (I might have caught a little shut eye, but nonetheless fabulous)!
5. Go big or go home. I've become die hard Red Sox and Celtics fan. Nothing beats a NBA game. It was my 1st one... I can't wait to go to another one.
6. Fenway Park. You haven't lived until you've seen the monster.
7. Walk at your own pace in Boston. Nobody is in a race there.
8. Don't worry about getting lost. No one there knows where they are either.
9. "Quite a ways from here" is 30 minutes to the people there. We laughed. "Quite a ways" for us is eight hours.
10. Don't eat breakfast at the hotel. It's not worth the price you pay.
11. It's always more fun when someone picks you up from the airport. If you drive yourself it's a major letdown when no one is there to greet you.

Vacation was fun. We spent way too much money, let's just say the economy ought to be "stimulated" after our spending spree. All that aside, I'm happy we're home. I'm already thinking Honeybun and I need a vacation from our vacation. I'm ready for the beach.

Promoted to Vice President of Travel. I breeze through airport security lines.

Stay tuned... I'm sure the week back at work will be eventful.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Good times, good times. Thanks for the pointers. And welcome back to the green rolling hills of Kentucky. :)