Thursday, March 5, 2009

Big News

Honeybun and I have entered the land of responsibility. We have a kitten. Not just any kitten, a teenie tiny little fur ball who is the coolest thing since DVR. We decided to name him Satchmo which apparently was Louis Armstrong's nickname. Why our kitten is named after him, I don't know. We aren't big fans of jazz- maybe Honeybun thought the kitten would meow to the tune of "What a Wonderful World." How did all of this come about for two people who had issues (commitment issues) with babysitting a cat for a few months? Let me take you back to Monday night...

Honeybun's friend George called him earlier in the day and said he found a kitten at his hog barn. He wanted to know if we wanted it. Honeybun said he'd think about. George told him to call him back within the hour if he decided not to take the kitten. Of course, Honeybun never called him back. I got home from the gym and my meeting at church. As soon as I walked through the door Honeybun told me to hurry up and eat, we had to go see about a kitten. What? A kitten? When did WE decide to get an animal? This thought has been entertained throughout the three years we've been married, but never have we actually went so far to commit. We headed to George's house knowing that once we saw this kitten we would be attached. Boy were we right.

The first night started off a little rocky for me. I was so worried about Satch (which we didn't name him until today- we didn't know if he was a boy or girl) I woke up every two hours worried about him. I laid in the bed listening for his meow. No way was I going to get up and check on him. Honeybun would make fun of me. Tuesday Satchmo ventured to work with me. He was the hit of the office. El presidente acted like he didn't want him here, but for some reason Satchmo was checked on frequently by his "grandfather." So funny... all he does is eat, sleep, purr and meow (with the occasional litter box moment thrown in).

Fast forward to today. Stachmo had his first vet visit. The vet tried to weigh him, but the scale wouldn't register because he was too tiny- so they put him on the postage meter, but he wouldn't be still enough. I have no idea how much he weighs, but I'm pretty sure it's under 1 pound. The vet said he thought Satch was only about 4 weeks old. He asked if we had noticed Kitty growing any since we've had him. I said no, not really getting bigger, but getting quicker, more daring and playful (I say playful, but I mean meaner). The vet said I needed to make an appointment for about three weeks from now so Satch can get his shots and a check-up, but other than that he thought we were doing a great job with Kitty! YES!!! The vet said we were good parents! So excited!!!

I'll keep you update with Satchmo's growth and development, but I promise I won't be one of those "moms" who constantly talk about how wonderful, smart and funny their "children" are. On second thought...


Here are a few picture for your viewing pleasure.


Yes, that is Honeybun's hand... I told you Satchmo is small.



His first meal. Those are saucers, a piece of bread is all that will fit on them.

More pictures to come. Satchmo won't stay still long enough for me to take a good photo of him.

Promoted to Vice President of Child Care. Don't worry, I got the all clear from the vet.

No comments: