Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mother of the Year

I'm pretty sure the vet is going to take away my Mother of the Year Award. That's sad because I just finished writing my acceptance speech.

Yesterday afternoon I skipped the gym and headed to my most favorite store in the whole world, Target. I bought bunches of stuff for Satchmo, not fun stuff, things like a comb, shampoo, a bed and two new bowls. For those of you who don't know Satchmo has been having trouble eating and not getting food all over this face. Little man literally gets into his food bowl to eat. He gets food and water all over him in the process. To make matters worse he gets into the litter box to do his business after he eat (yes, with wet paws and all) then tracks litter, food, water and things I don't want to think about all over the house. To take care of the problem I bought him bowls he can't fit into (not such an easy task since he only weighs 8 oz by my best estimate) and some shampoo. Yep, Satchmo got his first full bath yesterday afternoon. Unhappy isn't the word to describe it. He was so mad at me and even madder that he couldn't get out of the sink by himself because he's too little. I'm not going to say he was the cleanest cat in the world even after the bath, but he was pretty presentable and I was tired of fighting it. I wrapped the shaking baby in a towel after the bath and headed to the bathroom to dry him (he got his bath in the kitchen sink- don't worry, it's been disinfected). I turned my hairdryer on the lowest heat/ lowest air flow setting and held it up at least 18 inches from him to try to speed up the drying process. Baby smelled like a mixtures of wet cat and cat shampoo, not such a good combo. Satchmo did not like the hair dryer- extreme dislike. I gave up and got another towel to try to dry him by rubbing vigorously. I looked down and the crying, wet, scared to death baby and found it. Yep, I scared him so bad with the hair dryer that he peed in the floor. I felt horrible- I mean horrible! I wrapped baby up, whispered soothing words and did the only thing I knew how to do... let him crawl all over me, bury himself in my hair and go to sleep. Stinky! I thought to myself, how can I get baby warm and happy without having to smell him? Ah ha- I'll put the heating pad on warm and place it on the couch, get out the fuzzy blanket, put the blanket on the heating pad, place baby wrapped up in the towel on the blanket and wait for him to go to sleep. While he slept I power cleaned and disinfected my bathroom. Bath time didn't go so well at first, but after he dried Satchmo looked and smelled like a brand new man, that is until he went to do #2. He's still working on the whole wiping his rear thing. That's next week's project... teach Satch litter box etiquette.

After the whole bath and drying catastrophe, I'm pretty sure the "Mother of the Year" title is going to someone else. All I have to say about it I learned from my mistakes and I promise to do better in the future with regards to the health and safety of my little Satchmo.

Promoted to Vice President of Hygiene and Hair Dryers.

No comments: