A few weeks ago I decided to have a Christmas dinner for my friends from Bible Study. I sent out invitations, planned a menu and started stressing about where everyone was going to sit, what to serve, decorations, party favors and most importantly dessert. I hired a babysitter (Madre- I didn't have to twist her arm) and made sure I scheduled the event on the day my housekeeper came. This dinner was going to be my first big girl party and it was going to be fabulous!
Um, yeah. I invited six people (including me) to my event. By the day of the dinner I had heard from two people saying they weren't going to be able to make it and one other person was ify. That's okay. I can fit four people at my kitchen table (if I break out the folding chairs). (Originally I was going to push back the furniture in the living room to accommodate two card tables pushed together for us.)Not a problem.
I planned for this party like you wouldn't believe. I broke out the good china, set the table, thought I could be creative like Hannah and make gingerbread houses (from a kit of course) as the centerpiece (Those dang gingerbread houses kicked my butt. Honeybun had to be called in for reinforcement.)and broke out the cloth napkins and napkin rings. I made taco soup, corn muffins, bought croissants for sandwiches and made a chocolate cake from scratch for dessert. I was so proud of myself (maybe that was my downfall?).
One hour before dinner time I get a text from the BFF. One of the other girls wasn't going to be able to make it. That left me, the BFF and possibly another girl to eat an entire batch of taco soup (which I don't eat).
Major bummer. My first big girl dinner and only the BFF showed up. I understand there were good reasons for everyone else not to come. I mean we must prioritize though, vacation in Chicago vs dinner at my house (kidding B!)? What would you choose? (I personally would choose Chicago.)
So for all of you who missed out here is the photographic evidence:
The dinner table was set with care with hopes that my friends would soon be there.
Taco soup, corn muffins, sandwiches and a chocolate cake
Close up of the cake. It was delicious!
My pitiful attempt at making a gingerbread house. Next time I'm bribing the BFF's oldest. Child labor.
2 comments:
too bad i'm not in bg, i'd been down for a par-tay! looks awesome! :)
I'm so impressed with your gingerbread house!! The kids help with ours so they are always a bit crazy looking.
Congrats on your first big girl party. Don't give up. :)
Post a Comment