Friday, February 25, 2011

Closet Cuddles

This is the story of how I found myself, Jack, the Touch, my cell phone, favorite quilt, pillow and flashlight cowering in the closet at 10:30 last night.

Most of South Central Kentucky and the surrounding areas were under a sever thunderstorm warning most of last night. Normally I mock storms and curl up in bed with a good book, but since I've become a mother and have someone to be responsible for I've started taking the warnings seriously. (As serious as you can with our local weather team reporting. But that's a different story for a different day.)

Honeybun decided that last night would be the perfect time to abandon ship and attend the WKU basketball game. I guess after the entire family being sick for a week he saw an opportunity to mingle with the masses and took it. I can't say I blame him. He called around 9:00 and said he was going to a friend's house to play poker. Whatever. Have great fun. Jack was already in the bed so I did what any girl who found herself with a husbandless night would do- gear up to watch "Jersey Shore." My plan was doomed from the beginning. I DVR'd the show because I no longer believe in watching TV in real time. When I pushed the DVR button on the remote there were 5 recordings for "Jersey Shore." Ugh. Every time the EAS broke through regular programming the DVR reset. I guess I better watch the local news.

Fast forward to somewhere around 10:00. The wind is howling, a huge clap of thunder sounds and our grill goes sliding across the deck. I jump out of the recliner, race to Jack's bedroom to hear him screaming bloody murder. I grab him, my cell phone, the Touch (so I can stay connected on FB, of course), my favorite quilt, a pillow and the flashlight. I turned on the TV in my bedroom (so I could hear the news updates), cut the lights (hoping Jack would go back to sleep) and dashed into the closet. My heart was beating so fast I thought for sure Jack could hear it. After ten minutes of hiding in the closet I thought the worst was over and was about to evacuate when the COWS (Community Outdoor Warning System for those of you who don't live in redneckville) started going off. Tornado Warning in my area. Oh Honeybun why are you not here? (Not that there was room for him in the closet anyway.) I consulted FB because our local weather people were not saying anything about the warning sirens going off. Come on now people! All 5 of my friends who were crazy enough to be FBing were huddled in their bathrooms/ closets too. It gave me great comfort to know I wasn't the only one. Long story short (not) Jack and I made it unharmed, he eventually fell back asleep and I know I need to clean out my closet before the spring when we usually experience our severe weather. My heels digging into my rear for 30 minutes was most uncomfortable.

No comments: