Thursday, July 28, 2011

Traveling Salesman

A few nights ago HB and I were hanging out across the street with the neighbors when we noticed a salesman going door to door. It was almost dark, just about bedtime when he walked to our door. Honeybun met him in the yard while the Little Man and I headed in for bath time.

Fast forward a little bit. HB comes in and said the dude was selling some kind of cleaner. HB told him he wasn't interested after he listened to the entire sales pitch which included telling HB he just finished his freshman year at WKU majoring in communications. Making conversation HB asked him what he took his first year. Dude told him, "just the basics, you know Trig, Calculus and Biology (where apparently he dissected a deer)." HB thought called him out about the deer and Dude stood by his story.

The next day I went on a dinner date with the Little Man. When I was leaving the neighborhood I noticed the same Traveling Salesman walking down the street. I figured I was in the clear because he hit my house last night. WRONG!! Apparently I didn't spend enough time at dinner because when I came home I made it no farther the passenger side door to get Little Man out of the car before he approached me. Due laid into his sales pitch hot and heavy before I had the chance to tell him he visited my house the night before. I humored him and let him go on and on and on and on, listening to how he just finished his freshman year at UK and how selling this product would help America's Youth. When he was finished I told him I wasn't interested. He looked at me (in the eye for the first time) and said something smart about how I don't want to help America's Youth, making me out to be the bad guy. He turned and walked down the driveway.

His last comment stirred up some fire in me. Before he made it to the street I said, "Excuse me, I have a question for you." He turned and said, "Don't worry. I have a business license" and pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket.

"That's not what I wanted to ask you. Last night, you were here and spoke with my husband. Did you tell him you just finished your freshman year at Western?"

Yep, caught him in a lie.

I don't have a problem with sale pitches per say. I don't even care if you lie in your pitch. Just be smart enough to remember your lie.

1 comment:

Dwan said...

We had the same guy at our house!:) He was a character....