Monday, September 8, 2008

If the Shoe Fits...

My Vice President status entitles me to a few job perks, if you want to call them that. Today I got the privilege to travel to a neighboring county's Electric Cooperative. We'll call it 3 Co. Flashback a few hours...

The phone rings at P&W. It's Lisa calling from 3 Co. She wants to know if I am familiar with the Olive job. I told her I could try to answer her questions. She asks me if we are finished with the job. I told her no, we're still working on it. She says something to the effect of she was looking through some paperwork and saw where the service only for the Olive job expired on June 12th. Background: service only inspections (to the best of my knowledge) are completed before the final inspection- they are for temporary power. Okay, back to the story. She continued saying we would have to come in and pay for the final inspection and another service only. I said I would find out more and call her back. I called el presidente, explained what Lisa told me and asked when we were going to get the final inspection. El presidente said we were set for final inspection on Thursday pending all the materials arrived on time. I called Lisa back. This is the conversation:

Me: Hey, I am calling about the Olive job? I just spoke with you about it.

Lisa: Yes.

Me: We are going to turn in the job for the final inspection on Thursday, if everything turns out as expected. Do we still need to pay for another service only?

Lisa: Yes. You will need to pay for the service only and the final inspection.

Me: Even though we are going to have it inspected in three days, I need to go ahead and pay for a service only?

Lisa: Yes.

Me: Okay. Thanks.

El presidente sends me to 3 Co. with a blank check- he's about as excited about this as I am. I picked up a travel companion on my way to my destination. Madre likes to ride and listen to me complain. I arrive at 3 Co. with "positive attitude" repeating through my head. I walk and wait. Finally I hear, "may I help you?" Yes, you may. I walk up to the teller and...

Me: I need to pay for an inspection fee.

Teller: Who is it for?

Me: Olive Job

Teller: What inspection do you need?

Me: Service only and final.

Teller: Ummm (yep, here we go). (She starts to fill out her paperwork). What's the address?

Me: (It's on your computer screen genius) I tell her.

Teller: What's your ME & CE number?

Me: (I make up something- close I hope)

Teller: Bobby Jean, can you come over here for a minute? What is the fee for this? (They converse) What is the amperage for the house?

Me: (Seriously, I've have no clue. You should know that from the PERMIT!) I'm not sure, I'll have to check. I walk out (I didn't bring my cell phone in there with me.) The positive attitude mantra left long ago.
Ring Ring, I call el presidente. He's super excited to hear from me. The house is 400 amps- of course. This couldn't be easy. I walk back in and let the teller know.

Teller: Well, why are you getting a service only and a final inspection? If it is almost ready for the final you don't have to have a service only.

Me: I know that, I got a call earlier today saying the service only ran out on June 12th. I explained we were going to get a final at the end of this week for the job. But, I was told I still needed to pay for another service only.

Different Teller (the one I spoke with on the phone this morning): Oh, I didn't understand what you were saying when you called me back today.

Me: (Really, I didn't make that clear when I said we were going to get it inspected on Thursday?)

Teller: We don't want your power to get turned off, that's why we said you would need to pay for another service only. (No shit Sherlock) That'll be $50.00 for the final.

Me: (I write the check.) Thanks so much.

Teller: Do you know where that job is? Have you been to the job site?

Me: No. (Don't try to be my friend.) and I'm out.

I have developed a new personal belief when dealing with 3 Co. It is not their fault they are incompetent. I should not get mad at them. They are doing the best with what little God gave them. Hey, if the shoe fits, wear it!

Promoted to Vice President of "use your smarts people!"

No comments: