Friday, June 19, 2009

An Oldie, but Goodie

I can't believe I forgot to write about this event when it happened!! (Or at least I don't think I've already written about it. If I have, you get to hear about it again because I am way too lazy to look back through the archives to double check.)

The other day (really, last summer) one of our workers was injured on the job. He followed protocol (surprise! Safety meetings must be paying off.) and visited the local urgent care to get evaluated. A girl (we'll call her Peggy Sue) who went through school with my sister called me at the office to ask if we required drug testing for the injured employee.

The conversation went a little like this:
Me- P&W
Peggy Sue- Hi, this is Peggy Sue calling from the clinic. We have your employee Bob here. Do you require a drug test for insurance purposes?
Me- No we don't.
Peggy Sue- Okay thanks.

Nothing too crazy about this conversation, right? Right except for the fact that the entire time she was growing up she was know by Peggy only. This fact becomes very important in the next conversation.

I had to call the clinic back to ask a random questions.

Evil Archenemy- Clinic this is your evil archenemy.
Me- (Sighing- just my luck for this girl to answer) May I speak with Peggy please? (Yes, I refuse to call someone by a name that I didn't call them by in high school).
Evil Archenemy- Who?
Me- Peggy
Evil Archenemy- Um... (duh stupid, figure it out!)
Me- Peggy, Peggy Sue.
Evil Archenemy- Oh Peggy Sue, just a moment.

Two things went wrong for me here 1) My evil archenemy answered the phone therefore I was forced to talk to her (Yes, I have an evil archenemy, two of them really, but only one is considered to be evil. The other is just my archenemy. I really wanted to hang up on her, but I figured they had Caller ID and I should be "professional" and make nice.) and 2) Peggy Sue must have gone through a name change. Who changes their name at 18 years old? Unless you are married of course, I don't see any reason to add to or delete from the name you were called for more than 2/3 of your life. That would be like me only going by EJ full time. No thanks. I only let my most favorite people call me by my first and middle. The wonders of people never cease to amaze me.

Promoted to Vice President of What's your name again?

No comments: