Tuesday, March 23, 2010

This Might be TMI

I know I've been apologizing for neglecting this blog for like, what, two weeks now? I'm sure you don't want to hear it again, but I'm sorry. I will TRY to do better. I can't promise anything though. There's a little man hanging around here who is way too cute for me to ignore.

Not only have I not been able to post because I have been busy with Jack, but I am also short on ideas because my days have been limited to bad daytime TV and my nights have consisted of really short, timed errands and Infomercials. I swear, if I was talented enough to breastfeed Jack, talk on the phone and read off my credit card number I would have a slight QVC problem. Where has the t-shirt folder been all my life? Did you know you can get it in a wide variety of fluorescent colors?

This might be TMI (too much information) but I'll share anyway...

Things I've learned during my first two weeks as a new mom:

1. Babies don't automatically smell good. This goes double if their mama is taking a supplement that makes her sweat, pee and breath smell like maple syrup. Poor little man smells like a big ol' pancake. Hence his new nickname- Mama's little sweet potato pancake. (Honeybun doesn't like it when I call Jack a sweet potato- he think it's mean.)

2. Breastfeeding is an awesome excuse to eat like a linebacker. Seriously, Honeybun has nothing on me. $5.00 footlongs at Subway are my new BFF, unfortunately for me the Subway lady informed me yesterday that this is the last week for the $5 footlong promotion. Tragic.

3. Mama's milk is good. After going toe to toe with the nurse at the Pediatrician's office 4 days after Jack was born, I felt like a stellar parent when I found out Jack gained about 1 pound and grown almost an inch and a half since that faithful day.

4. Leakage in any way shape or form is no fun. I haven't had the "ring around the nipple" evidence on my shirt, yet, but I did venture out in public in sweatpants that had a blood stain on the rear end. How did I not know?

5. At first I was concerned little man wasn't using the bathroom enough. Now I'm eating my words. I've been peed and pooped on countless times- the last time I jumped to the side and might have looked my baby boy in the eye and said, "Ha ha... mama's getting smart." Probably not good form to entice a two week old.

6. Sponge baths aren't cool & Jack hates them. I do my best to clean him, but I might have missed his arm pits and neck rolls the last time. Yep, I was that mama at the doctor's office who brought their child in with gunk hiding in weird spots. I promise to do better. Hopefully his cord will fall off soon and he'll start liking his baths.

We're on a learning curve here. I give myself a solid "B" for my mothering so far- above average with room to improve!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I can assure you Jack isn't the only little fella with gunk in his neck rolls and arm pits! Poor Ty is in the same boat too! Ha! Ty's cord STILL hasn't fallen off either!! Ughhh! BTW, so glad to hear the bf'ing is going good. It's ancient history for me - I just wasn't producing enough - only 3-4 ounces a day!

Emily said...

I think you get an A. :)