Disclaimer- Last night was a rough night for the Little Man and his Mama.
When my eggo was preggo random people would say, "sleep while you can." Frankly, it got on my nerves. Really? Sleep when I had a bowling ball attached to me and had to pee every three hours? That's not even mentioning the dreams and the snoring (don't worry, I blamed it on Honeybun). If only I had listened to those well meaning strangers.
Jack is not a good sleeper. He doesn't enjoy going to bed nor does he take good naps. I don't get it. I love to sleep. Naps are my favorite and I can't wait to go to bed at night. HB's theory is that Little Man is afraid to go to sleep. Opinions are like butt holes- every body's got one and they all stink.
Last night went a little like this:
7:30 pm- Night night Jack. Mama loves you.
7:35 pm- Night night Jack. Mama loves you.
7:45 pm- Night night Jack. Daddy loves you.
12:40 am- It's still night time Jack, here's your paci.
12:42 am- Seriously Jack, it's still night time.
3:30 am- Jack, did you lose your paci? Here it is.
3:41 am- Well, if it is that big of a problem, I will feed you only if you promise not to wake up until the morning.
4:00 am- I kept up my end of the bargain, we made a deal buddy.
5:45 am- Just bring him in here Honeybun. No Jack, don't smile at me. It's not funny. Yes, your Mama loves you, but she is tired! Ga ga ga. Yes, you are the cutest little boy in the world. Lay down and snuggle with Mama. Look, here's your breakfast. We can both lay right here. Mama is going to shut her eyes.
6:20 am- Up for the day.
When I get up with Little Man I comfort him, get him quiet and then dash back to my room, dive under the covers, cross my fingers (please stay asleep, please stay asleep) and try to go back to sleep myself all the while bracing myself for the screams that will be coming from the next room. I fall back into a fitful sleep dreaming weird things and irrationally getting fuming mad at Honeybun because he either doesn't hear Little Man or chooses to ignore. (After all, he needs his beauty rest, he's the breadwinner of the family. At least that's what he said yesterday.)
What happened to my baby that slept from 7:30 pm to 2 am then to 6:30 am? I want him back.
Here's the truth for all of you pregnant women out there. For the first three months of your (breastfed, since that's the only experience I have) baby's life you will be up every 2-3 hours, maybe 4 if you are lucky, to nurse the babe. At four months your little one will trick you. They will sleep if not once, maybe twice all night long. You won't know what to do with yourself. Your body will go into shock. Sleep? I forgot how good that felt. I want more of it. As soon as you think you have a bedtime routine that works your baby will rebel. I think I want to get up every two hours again. No says Mama. Go back to sleep. Mama will ask her friends, random strangers, pretty much anyone who has had a baby what to do. She will desperately rush to the bookstore to buy books and stay up late into the night reading the books only to find out no one has the answers.
My advice- sleep while you can. Ha.
But remember, you know what they say about opinions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
so true!! love this post!!
Post a Comment