Thursday, June 12, 2008

Faxualy Incompetant

Posted 6/19/08. Happened on 6/12/08.



I know now that we've entered the year 2008 email is the preferred form of communication when conducting business. Let's not rule out the fax machine. Oh, yes, the fax machine. Back in the day it was the coolest office tool available. The fax sent communications faster than snail mail. As an office manager (yep, I guess that's my "real" title) at a company that is SLOWLY entering the computer and email phase, I rely on the fax machine for quick communication for all sorts of boring business related things. Which brings me to this: How hard is it to use a fax machine?

When I fax you a document, you usually aren't required to do anything but sit and wait for the machine to spit out a copy of it. I, on the other hand, have a little more responsibility. I am responsible for pushing the "send" button. Difficult task, I know. My finger might get sore if I have to do it very often.

Which brings me to today... I tried to send a fax to a company 5 times. That's right, not once, not twice, not even three times...FIVE TIMES. The conversation went a little like this:

1st call:
2 rings and "C" answers
C- Hello Company
Me- Hi, I'm trying to send a fax.
C- Oh, dial this number ***-**** and I won't answer when you call back.
Me- That is the number I dialed.
C- Well, try again.
Me- Thanks.
Click

2nd call:
2 rings and
New Person- Hello, Company.
Me- I'm trying to send a fax.
NP- Oh, that's right, she told me not to answer. Try again.
Me- Thanks.
Click.

3rd call:
2 rings and
New Person- Hello, Company.
Me- I'm trying to send a fax.
NP- Oh, I didn't know. I won't answer, try again.
Me- I'm sure the fourth time is a charm.
Click

4th call:
2 rings and
New Person- Hello, Company.
Me- I AM TRYING TO SEND YOU A FAX FOR THE FOURTH TIME.
NP- Okay. Well, if you call right back we won't answer and you can send it.

I just hung up. Rude, maybe, but I didn't want to say something unprofessional.

5th call:
10 rings and silence. I push the send button, but nothing happens. I'm wondering if the company has a fax machine.

Different approach time. I Google the company, get an email address and attach the document. In the subject line of the email I write "proposal information." In the text I write: The attached document is the information you requested. I tried to fax the information several time, but it didn't work out. I thought it would be easier to email it. I am also mailing you the original document.

Why? Why did it take so much effort to send a document that the company should have had anyway?

Promoted to Vice President of Office Machines. I know how to work them...

No comments: