Well folks, that time of the year has rolled around again. Yep, Vacation Bible School is upon us at our church. The teachers have been preparing for the last two months. The church and classrooms are decorated perfectly. The children are excited. We're ready to go.
This year I'm teaching the 1st and 2nd graders. I use the word "teaching" loosely. I don't know if you can quite classify it as teaching if you are really just controlling the crowd with a little bit of "Jesus loves me" thrown in. When the sign up sheet for teachers was posted I jumped on the bandwagon. I thought the 1st & 2nd graders would be fun, well behaved and the week would be relatively easy. Not so much the case. Sure, they are fun, not so much well behaved and defiantly not easy. Monday night I had 5 children in my class. Four boys and one girl. One of the boys isn't old enough to be in my class, but the parental unit of the child thought he would "do better" in my class. Apparently he can't be trusted to be with his age group. His cousin is in the other group and my student beats up his cousin. Yep, you heard that right. It's pretty bad when the grandfather of the child checks on you regularly to make sure he's behaving. My Sidekick helper on Monday night said she, "felt like gray hair were growing all over her head." I laughed. They weren't the best behaved group on Monday, but I don't think they were the worst. Tuesday night Honeybun decided to help me. He talked the talk about being the "enforcer" and "nobody will misbehave with me there." Uh, yeah, that didn't work. Honeybun called Sidekick after VBS last night and offered her a bribe to take over his previously scheduled appearance on Thursday. Here I thought they were way better behaved last night than Monday.
I've tried to rationalize their behavior many different ways. I know some of the students don't get enough attention or "love" while they are at home and I try so hard to give it to them at VBS. I can't give the children who misbehave all of my attention because they alienates the one child in my class who is an angel. It's a delicate balancing act. I'm glad I'm not a teacher and only have to perform the act one week a year.
Bible School is an exciting time at church. I'm so glad I have the opportunity each year to teach and share His word with the children who attend.
Promote to Vice President of Crowd Control, Blood Clean-Up & "Shh, Listen"
Did I mention blood was shed last night?
Stay tuned in... VBS is never dull. The drama is sure to continue.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment