Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ode to Softball

The thrill of victory. The agony of defeat. The ping of the bat, the sound of the crowd. The highs, the lows. The strikes, the balls. You're out! You're safe! The cheers and jeers. Yep, you guessed it... Church League softball. The most competitive sport in Southern Kentucky. Caution: emotions run high during the season. Play at your own risk.

Background information: I was born at the ball park (not literally, but close enough). All my friend's parents played ball with my Mom and Dad. Going to the ball park was a twice a week occurrence (at least). Some of my favorite memories revolve around a softball diamond and a dugout. Some of my not-so-favorite memories happened there too. Remind me to tell you about the time "Cuz" thought he was Superman and broke his arm. Tragic. It's a good thing I thought that idea over before I tried to be like him.

Last night at the ballgame there was a controversial call (believe me, it doesn't take much to get all riled up). Our team questioned the call and the umpires started discussing it. The member of the other team shouts, "Calm down, it's just Church League Softball." Really? Just Church League Softball? Just? Lady, you must be new. There is no such thing as "Just Church League Softball." I was standing in right field when the comment was made. I couldn't help but crack up. Who says that, much less shouts it out at the opposing team? Fast forward an inning. The roles are reversed. Controversial call for the other team. They are up in arms. I want to shout, "Calm down, it's just Church League Softball." Does that make me a bad sport?

Speaking of bad sports, Honeybun and I had a conversation the other night. We decided that our children are going to be one of "those" children. Collectively, Honeybun and I are bad losers. We don't play the game if we aren't good at it. During the game, if we aren't excelling or winning we get angry, quit or throw a fit. I don't know why we are like that. We hate to lose. Sore losers to the maximum, that's what we are. During the conversation Honeybun confides in me that he's a much better sport now than he was when he was younger. Scary. I'm about the same now as I was growing up. Watch out for our children (if we ever have any). They' ll be the ones throwing the bats and getting kicked out the ballpark. Maybe we should take some classes...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where's the promotion?

Emily said...

Lori,
I guess I forgot it. Promoted to Vice President of Sports and Games. In a leauge of my own.