Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Questions Without Answers

Tomorrow is Honey Bun's Birthday. Pretty exciting right? Yep. That got me thinking. We are all getting older. I know that isn't such revelation, but when I sit back and think about it, that simple phrase means so many different things. I can honestly say I'm not where I thought I would be at 25 1/2 years old. I remember being a little girl dreaming about where I would work, what I would be doing and who all would be in my "family" when I "grew up." Obviously I haven't "grown up" yet. All of the things that I dreamed of haven't come true... yet. I am blessed in other ways. I have a wonderful husband who I love to the ends of the earth. I have a secure job. Sure, maybe it isn't what I dreamed of doing my whole life, but I think it is where I am suppose to be, at least for the time being. I don't have any children and that's okay. I'm not ready for them. I don't have any animals either. Maybe I'm not ready for them. I did foster a cat for 6 months and I loved every minute of it (okay, maybe not the 4 am walking on my face wake-up call, the lawnmower sounding purr, or the stinky poo) and that was enough for me. I am happy. I have a wonderful close knit family, great friends and lots of love. Who cares what the dreams of a 12 year old were. I am happy with the life of a 25 1/2 year old.

Which brings me to this... It's none of your business.

Why do random people feel like they have the right to ask you personal questions? Last time I checked, we are not friends. I don't have to defend myself, my actions or lack of. It's none of your business.

How much did you pay for your house?
None of your business. Do you make the payment every month? Do you contribute to the family income? Do you pay any of the bills? Didn't think so.

When are you having children? This is my personal favorite.
Are you in the bedroom when the baby making is taking place? If not, it's none of your business. Did I bring this up in casual conversation? No, not usually. It's gone so far that I've been told my eggs are getting old. Really? They are my eggs, get off of them. The only exceptions to this rule are close family members and friends. Usually it's limited to newly prego and very close friends (I really don't mind discussing it with them). The family members don't want to get their heads bitten off. I would like to add that 25 is still young. It's mid 20's. I have (hopefully) many, many baby having years ahead of me.

Are you looking for another job?
Nope, not at the time being. I work every day, eight hours a day, isn't that enough?

How much does your family earn each year?
1st off I don't know. If I don't even know, you don't need to know. Not to defend myself or anything, but I have an idea how much my family makes. We can afford to pay all of our bills, save a little and eat. That's all that's important.

Those four questions pretty much cover the entire realm of questioning I receive on a weekly basis. If I am happy where I am and what I am doing why can't you be happy for me? Why do people think they have to make drastic changes in life to be happy. Why do they question others who don't feel the same way? If Honey Bun and I want to travel the world before we decide to have children, what's it to you? Why do you care? Seriously I want to know. If your happiness has anything to do with my having a child (or getting another job or how much money we have), you need to re-evaluate. Maybe, just maybe I am old enough to do things in my own time. I can make my own decisions. Some may venture and say that I am a "grown up." I don't like to take it that far, but maybe I am.

I didn't mean this in a negative way. I really am curious. Why do random people think they have a right to know the answers to such personal questions? When did my life become any of your business?

No promotion today, just thoughts and rambling about random things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't understand people asking personal questions either. It is really none of their business. I just want you to know that I am happy for you and I support you in everything that you do!!
And I just might let you babysit Chubby again if you miss him...
Love You!!

Unknown said...

people really ask you that? ridiculous!

Emily said...

Yep, for some reason people think it's their business. Still trying to figure it out.