Honeybun and I traveled to Louisville for a New Years Eve party hosted by some of our friends. We drove up in Honeybun's truck (this becomes important later in the story). When we got to Louisville we went to pickup Honeybun's friend B. The three of us met Honeybun's other friend B2 at the pizza place where we were going to eat dinner. After we ate we were going to head to the party. We arrive at B's house, I get ready and we leave to meet B2 for dinner. Honeybun drives to dinner. That leaves me sitting in the middle between HB and B. Emphasis- neither of them are less than 250 lbs. Oh well, we didn't have far to go, right? After dinner, which was interesting in itself (me being the only girl and all) we leave to go to the party. The party was great fun. We played Phase 10, but only for a minute. Our (HB, B, B2 and mine) evil plan to skip the same person each time (which we hatched at dinner) was unveiled and thrown off course after the second round of skipping. We had to quit playing before someone got hurt. After the failed attempt at playing a Phase 10 game without any fights or tears we hung out and played other non-violent games until it was time to countdown. When it came time to leave it was decided that I was going to drive back to B's house (I hadn't had anything stronger than Dr. Pepper all night). Honeybun started thinking about what it was going to mean to have me drive back to B's house. Yep, he was going to have to sit in the middle! Imagining this still makes me laugh. Honeybun starts thinking that really isn't the ideal situation for him so he convinces B2 to ride with us back to B's house and sleep on the couch. B2 wonders how we are all going to fit in the truck. Honeybun tells B2 not to worry- Emily will drive his car. This sparks a heated debate among B, B2 and Honeybun. B doesn't think I can drive a stick shift. B2 is concerned about his car and Honeybun is trying to reassure everyone that I am totally capable of getting them back to B's house without incident. Nothing like blind faith in your spouse huh? I'm sitting in the background listening to all of this. Nervous. I know how to drive a stick shift, but am I totally comfortable driving it in an unfamiliar car, in an unfamiliar city on the biggest night of cops pulling people over? Nope, not really, but I'm going to take one for the team- swallow my fear and get us home safely- nothing but positive thoughts running through my head. We say our goodbyes and head out to the car. B2 drives a 2 door Cavalier. You're getting the picture right? B2 and B in the backseat, Honeybun in the front and I'm driving. The car is carrying about 800 lbs of male (we aren't going to add my weight for reasons we won't discuss). Reminder- we are in a two-door Cavalier. We load up and wait for the defrost action to happen. B is still trying to convince the others that I am not capable of driving. I lay the smack down- "I can drive a stick shift. I learned to drive on a stick shift. Have I driven one in the last 8 years? NO. Do I usually drive on in 3" heels? No. I'm going to give it my best shot and I would appreciate support." Who knew that would work so well? Surprisingly after the speech I got nothing but positive energy for the rest of the trip. Reverse was successful (even though I heard the boys sucking in their breaths when I got a little close to Honeybun's truck- what can I say? I hate reverse). 1st gear- success! 1st stop sign- success! 1st stoplight on busy street- success! Driving through Louisville without stalling, crashing or getting pulled over- success! Turning into the driveway with the huge pothole- success! I'm still proud of myself!
Promoted to Vice President of Fleet Management. If it's got a steering wheel, I can drive it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment