Monday, January 12, 2009

Promoted and Demoted

Last Wednesday el' presidente came into my office, threw (not really, but it sounds good) some paperwork on my desk and told me I was going to be in charge of the Safety Meetings. Score! A for real promotion! Keep it up and I won't have to promote myself anymore! Every other Monday (starting the 12th, today) I would come into work an 1/2 hour early and leave 1/2 hour early. Sounds good to me. The first Safety Meeting of the New Year was entitled "Drugs and Alcohol in the Workplace." Um, yeah. Just what I wanted to talk about. I let the paperwork sit on my desk until Friday. Friday came and I typed an outline of what I thought was important regarding the topic and re-stated our Company Policy regrading Drugs and Alcohol. Friday afternoon I went into el' presidente's office and showed him what I was going to talk about- ran it by him to make sure everything was okay. He said everything looked good; then he demoted me. Yep, you heard me right. I got demoted before I was technically promoted. How does that happen? He was really nice about it. He said he would give the meetings. I wouldn't have to worry about it. Worry about it? I was pretty much excited about leaving early. Not so excited about coming in early, but you take the good with the bad, right? That's my big news for the week. Promotion then demotion. Best part- I had already told Honeybun and several others about my new "position." Now I have to tell them about my demotion. Honeybun laughed pretty hard... He thought it was funny! That's okay... I'm pretty much cracking up about it too!

Unrelated but relevant... Lady calls into work all of the time. We'll call her Mrs.8. She has a lot of rental property (section 8 housing, mostly). Evidently her tenants hate her and call the City to complain about the quality of their housing (this theory is based on the volume of calls I receive to fix the problems. This is not a fact.). The City sends out an inspector to inspect. Mrs.8 fails the inspection and calls us to come and fix the problem. She faxes over a form from the inspector's office to let us know what failed and what needs to be fixed. Sometimes these forms are 2 pages long, sometimes they are 5- just depends. Mrs.8 calls immediately after she has faxed the form to make sure I received it. I tell her yes and I will pass it on to my boss. Never fails- a day or so later she'll call back. "I have to have this completed by the --. The inspector is coming back out to re-inspect. I have to pass. Do you still have the form I sent to you?" I tell her I passed the form along to the boss. She says, "I'll fax it to you again, what's your fax number?" Yeah, you faxed me something two days ago, two weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I'll get another fax from you in the next two weeks. You have to ask for my fax number? But, me being the perfect employee that I am, I give it to her. Great fun.

Promoted to Vice President of Health and Safety.
Demoted the next day.

No comments: