I went to my favorite store (yep, that's Target) on Monday to buy a few essential items (soap, shampoo, etc.). While I was cruising around the aisles I picked up a really cute sweatshirt. When I finished shopping I went to the register to pay. I paid for my "household" items separate from my sweatshirt. All of this background is for a reason. I used my bankcard for the household goodies and cash for my sweatshirt. (Honeybun and I use the envelope system, thus the separation.) The sweatshirt was $19.99 plus tax bringing the total to $21.19. I gave the cashier a $100.00 bill, a $1.00 bill and a quarter. My change should have been $80.06. People were lined up behind me. You know those people who have bratty kids who are screaming, "I WANT A CANDY BAR" and you are like, get me out of here now! The cashier hands me my change and receipt and I go on with my life. I had a few more errands to run before I went home. When I got home I took the sweatshirt out of the bag and got to thinking, "where is that $80.00?" Panic sets in. I empty out my purse and search through the car. It's nowhere to be found. Honeybun calls. I tell him I think I just lost $80.00. If you know me, you know this isn't something I do. I am very careful with my money. I can tell you the balance on my checking account to the cent. Honeybun says he'll help me look when he gets home. I replayed the shopping trip in my head. I don't remember the cashier giving me $80.00back. I just remember getting the $.06 back, which I put in the bag with my receipt. If there had been dollars, I would have stuck them in my purse, in the bag or in my pocket. I'd already looked in all of those places. I decided to call Target, explain the situation and make sure the cashier did give me my $80.00 back. I am well aware that calling Target is going to make me look like a complete idiot, but if it helps me find my money, I'm all for it.
I call Target and wait for a customer service representative. Finally one gets on the phone. I explain the situation and give the information on my receipt. He says they will check into it and he'll give me a call back. I gave him my name and while I was spelling my last name he said, "yeah, I know who you are." Well, if you know who I am why did you ignore me when I smiled at you earlier? That's an entirely different post. Twenty minutes later my phone rings. It's a different guy and he wants to know what I was wearing so they can review the security tapes. I tell him, he says they'll call back. Thirty minutes later he calls back. He says, "yeah, we didn't give you your money. Are you going to come here today and get it?" I said, "no, I'll come after work tomorrow." He tells me who to ask for when I come in and what I need to tell them.
A few thoughts:
What if I was too embarrassed to call and double check that I got the change back?
I already felt stupid calling you. You could have been a little more understanding/ nicer on the phone.
Does this happen very often?
Fast forward to yesterday- I went to Target to reclaim what was rightfully mine. I approached the Customer Service counter and told the girl there that I needed to speak with a manager. She found one for me and I waited. Dude that didn't speak to me the day before was there and became surprisingly friendly. I told the manager what happened. She looked at me like I was the dumbest person in the world. Don't worry- I already felt that way. The security guy from the night before was also working yesterday. He came up to me and said, "What happened? Did she just not give you your change?" I said I didn't know what happened. He said, "I reviewed your tape. She didn't give you any bills back." I said that I was sorry he had to review the tape. He said, "I don't mind. It gave me something to do." Glad I made your day. The manager finally finds my money in an envelope and brings it to me. She says, "It was $80.00, right?" and counts it back to me. I took the money, said thanks and left. Would it have been too much to ask for a $50.00 gift card for the gas I wasted driving back to the store? Just joking.
Promoted to Vice President of "Count your change before you leave the store." Lesson learned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment