Let's get this out of the way... We've already established I'm a bad sport. On top of that, I am highly competitive.
Flashing back to the other night... Honeybun had a men's church league softball game. Jack and I decided to go watch. The game didn't start out in our favor, especially since the other team scored 7 runs in the first inning. Fast forward to somewhere around the top of the 5th inning. Our team was down by one less than the run rule (it was a trend that night- only scoring enough to keep us in the game), the other team was up to bat. Our pitcher and the rest of the team were frustrated. I don't blame them- I would be also. The batter hit the ball hard right up the middle (which is way uncool). Our pitcher fielded the ball and threw it to Honeybun who was playing first. Or so I thought... From my vantage point on the top of the bleachers there was a light pole obstructing my view. Next thing I know the other team's dugout is clearing out onto the field running their mouths and preparing for a fight. What's happening? Our pitcher, in frustration threw the ball at the batters ankles instead of Honeybun's glove. Oh no he didn't! Yes he sure did.
Not one to back down from a fight or leave a teammate hanging Honeybun starts running his mouth- "Your team has hit up the middle 6 times." Blah blah blah and probably dropping some bombs for emphasis. "That's it Honeybun- this is your warning." Yes, HB got a warning for the fight the pitcher started. The other team is yelling, "We can't place the ball. We aren't hitting up the middle on purpose." Which got me all riled up. HB is still running his mouth so in true redneck fashion I hop off the bleachers with a baby on my hip, hit the fence and tell HB to hush. I've got this. What does the other team mean when they say they can't place the ball? Um, we only have 9 players, so we are an outfielder short and it seems to me like you all are finding a lot hole in the outfield. I guess you are just getting lucky?
The umpires get the would be fight contained and the game proceeds. Not to be outdone or unnoticed the fans for the other team start cheering every time they score a run, get a hit or an out. I was already simmering by this point. Don't cheer after controversy when you weren't cheering before. It's unlady like. And it gets on my nerves (perhaps the most important reason not to).
I will be checking the schedule- next time we play your team I am showing up in full super-fan gear. I am having T-shirts made, signs painted and will recruit others to participate. I might even pack an air horn and noisemakers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment